Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hospital Chic

Brian's Etsy Shop

Academia: Today was a non-academic day for me, actually. I took the day off because Cary had to have minor surgery. It was a very routine outpatient procedure and he's fine (he's eating ice cream in the bedroom as we speak), but he had to be anesthetized and the whole procedure, from check-in to discharge, took most of the day. While I was waiting, I:

  1. read Bill Bryson's new book, At Home. This is one of the most fascinating books I've read in years. The author, who lives in a mid-nineteenth century rectory in England, goes through the rooms in the house and talks about domestic history as they relate to each. In the dining room, he discusses the spice trade and world exploration; in the bedroom, Victorian attitudes toward sex. Bryson is one of the best authors I've read in terms of taking a LOT of random facts and tying them together in a way that is both interesting and easy to follow. I highly recommend checking this book out.
  2. watched the end of the Casey Anthony trial. I haven't been following it at all, but it was the only thing on TV all day. So now I know waaaaay more than I ever hoped to about the whole thing.
Sartorial: Since today involved so much sitting around, I wanted to be comfortable above all. These pieces are in my 30x30 and I've worn them in much dressier ways (t-shirt, pants), but this combination was perfect for a long day in a hospital waiting room. And for collapsing on the couch afterwards, which is where I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.