Monday, June 6, 2011

Just One Kind of Folks

T-shirt, Shoes, Earrings
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." - Scout

I want to be Scout's BFF. I love this book that much.
Academia: Today was a crazy busy day (I asked for it, I know), but I want to put that aside to pay tribute  to a book I love, or better put, THE BEST BOOK EVER PERIOD. If you've even glanced at the pictures today (or just have great taste), you know what book I'm talking about. I'm talking about To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, the awesomest book in the English language and the subject of my ensemble today.

If you've read TKAM before, you know why it's so great. But if you haven't, let me tell you what you're missing. Cliff's Notes would tell you that it's about two children in small town 1930s Alabama who watch their lawyer father defend a black man wrongfully accused of raping a white woman. But beyond that, it's about children trying to make sense of a world that is often senseless, and looking to their father to know what to do next. It's about a father who wants to be honest about human nature with his children, but doesn't want to scare them. It's about the way fear and prejudice can make basically good people think that other people aren't really people. It's about doing the right thing, even when you know it can't end well. And all those "abouts" are what make To Kill a Mockingbird about my favorite book of all time.

Sartorial: This t-shirt from Out of Print Clothing is an early birthday present from my parents. They didn't intend it  to be early, but I saw the label on the package when it arrived last week so I knew what it was and I swear I have a good reason for opening it early that isn't "I just wanted to wear it." The 30x30 starts next week, six days before my birthday, and I wanted to include this shirt in my 30. And then I figured, if I'm going to open it six days early, I may as well open it now. I mean, early is early, right? That's what I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.