Monday, October 10, 2011

Anti-Funk




Academia: I've been in a bit of a funk lately. Being sick, stress at work, and the toll that infertility takes on a heart have all been wearing me down over the past few weeks. Every life has times like this, but being the middle of one is definitely funk-conducive.

Luckily, I'm married to an excellent destroyer of funk. Sidebar: wouldn't "Destroyers of Funk" be a great rock band name? When I got home from work on Friday, Cary told me to pack an overnight bag and hop in the car, and he drove me to a tiny seaside town not far from here, where we checked into a Victorian bed and breakfast for the night.

It was really just what I needed. We walked down to a seafood restaurant on the water for dinner and ate out on the deck and watched it get dark. We fell asleep early and slept hard all night, and had a delicious breakfast in the morning. We sat out on the upstairs porch and read until checkout, and then we walked downtown and visited the tiny town's tiny museum. Then we drove home and read and napped all afternoon. It was a perfectly refreshing 24 hours, and while it didn't erase the difficult things happening in my life right now, it did make me feel better. Sometimes, just feeling better for a little while is the best and only thing you can do about a funk.

Sartorial: This skirt is pretty much the cheeriest article of clothing I own, so it was just right for a funk-busting night away. I didn't know what the evening would hold when I got dressed Friday morning, but apparently I'm a bit sartorially prescient. Or at least I was on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.