Friday, October 7, 2011

Trendsetter (Or Not)

Skirt 


Academia: Nothing to note, except a big apology for not replying to any comments over the past week or so. The combination of being sick, having family in town, and the normal busyness of life has turned me into a bad blogger. If you've left me a comment and I haven't replied to it, or commented on your blog if I normally do that, I promise that I will catch up over the weekend. Y'all are awesome, and your comments mean a lot to me.

Sartorial: It's Friend Friday, and topic this week is trends. I wouldn't consider myself remotely trendy, so this should be interesting. Here goes!

  1. Do you ever see a fad hit the stores and immediately dislike it? Has that fad ever begun to grow on you? Yes. When leggings came back a few years ago, I hated them. They reminded me of everything that was wrong with early 90s fashion, and every girl on campus wore them as pants. But then I started to see them paired with tunics and minidresses, and I realized that they were way more comfortable than regular pants, and I loved them.
  2. Has the popularity of a certain piece of clothing or line ever convinced you to try on something (or purchase something) you dislike? Maybe when I was a teenager, and my top fashion priority was blending in, but not in recent memory. I don't wear things I don't like. For example, I have never owned a pair of Uggs.
  3. Have you ever changed your mind about a trend after seeing it around for a while? Well, there's the leggings example I gave in #1. But I also have started to like color blocking more than I used to, especially close colors like pink and red or blue and green.
  4. Do you feel a certain pressure to have specific items in your closet because everyone else does? Not really. Like I said, I tend to just buy what I like. But I do get inspired by seeing other people wear trends that I didn't think I'd like at first. For example, I wasn't sure at first when wide-leg jeans came back in, and then I saw a bunch of other bloggers wearing them and really wanted to try them myself.
  5. Be honest, what did you think of the Missoni line? Did you grab any items? Is it worth the eBay prices? Honestly, I liked some individual items, but Missoni isn't really "me." My first reaction was "whoa, that's some loud print," and then I saw some pieces that some blogger friends bought and thought those pieces looked pretty good on them, but I still wasn't really motivated to run out and buy any for myself. So for me, no, it's not worth the eBay prices, but I see why it would be for someone whose personal taste lines up with Missoni's look a little better.
So those are my thoughts on trends. What do y'all think? Do you consider yourself trendy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.