Monday, May 9, 2011

Growth Spurt

Shirt, shoes, Brian's Etsy shop



So I've been thinking about ways to grow as a blogger.  As with most hobbies, I've found that doing exactly the same thing for more than a little while gets boring. I like what I'm doing photo-wise and outfit-wise, but I've decided I want to focus and polish my writing better, and not just write the first thing that pops into my head when I sit down in front of the computer.

I want to use the title of my blog, Academia Sartorial, to help me focus when I write. After all, I started the blog with an eye to describing fashion and dressing well in the academic world. So from now on, at least until I change things up again, I'm going to split each post into two sections: Academia, which will describe what I did in the clothes I wore that day (usually something academia-related, since that's where I work), and Sartorial, which will describe what I was thinking/feeling/regretting/liking about the clothes themselves. So without further ado...

Academia: Today was the first day of the summer semester, and my first day as the sole Student Life Coordinator for an orientation week. I was nervous about leading registration sessions and organizing housing seminars alone, but it went really well. I helped a student who spoke about three words of English sign a lease at an apartment complex, which left me feeling very impressed. I remember the mild freaking out I did whenever I signed an apartment lease (and the major freaking out when I bought a house), and I understood what the lease said! Anyone with the guts to show up in a foreign country, not speaking the language, and then start signing legal documents without batting an eyelash, deserves a round of applause.

Sartorial: Our dress code at work is normally very casual, but for orientation weeks, my boss asks us to dress more professionally since we are making first impressions on the new students. I got this awesome t-shirt at Target yesterday for $12 and I love it, but t-shirts on their own are not very professional-looking. I really wanted to wear it today, so I pulled this dressy skirt out of the "I gained five pounds, forgot about it, then lost five pounds" corner of my closet to pair with it. I added yellow shoes and these gorgeous earrings, newly borrowed from Brian. I felt cheery and cute, so I think it was a success.

P.S. Notice that Cary mowed the lawn so you can see my shoes again? Yay, Cary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.