Monday, February 21, 2011

Out of the Box





Dress: Vintage, used to be Cary's aunt's
Cardigan and belt: Target
Shoes: Rack Room
Necklace and bracelet: Inherited from grandmother
Earrings: Thrifted

This is one of my favorite dresses. I found it last Easter at Cary's aunt's house. My nieces were pulling clothes out of the dress-up box, which holds a little of everything every female family member has ever worn: 80s prom dresses, 50s hats, 70s blouses. This dress belonged to Cary's eldest aunt around 1960, and when I saw the little girls pulling it out of the box, I snagged it and tried it on myself. It fit perfectly and was in great shape, so I asked if I could have it. It had been sitting in that box for probably 30 years, so no one minded if I took it. I got it cleaned and shortened (the original hemline was a few inches past my knees). I love wearing it because it has a history beyond my own closet, and it proves that classic silhouettes work for everyone, no matter the year.

Readers, do you have any pieces with history? Did you rescue an amazing piece of clothing from somewhere unusual?

3 comments:

  1. SUCH an amazing dress, both in color and cut. And it looks wonderful with those red flats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red flats are seriously the most versatile and transforming piece of clothing I own. They go with everything (except maybe for hot pink) and they make everything look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... totally agree with the other commenters. You have me wanting a pair of red shoes! What a pretty outfit! :)

    Better Than a Milk Mustache

    ReplyDelete

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.