Friday, September 9, 2011

Blackbird Singing in the Dead of Night

Dress, Brian's Etsy Shop 



Academia: New students, foreign professors, etc. etc. I want to talk about clothes today!

Sartorial: Today's visual Friend Friday is hosted by JK from Adimpleate, and the challenge was to create an outfit inspired by your favorite song. I immediately thought of "Blackbird" by the Beatles. Of all the Beatles' great songs, I think "Blackbird" is one of the very greatest. The simple guitar accompaniment and uplifting lyrics have always made me feel better about any difficult situation I've happened to be in. If you're not familiar with the song, you really should be. Listen here.

The obvious first step in dressing like this song was to wear a black dress, but I struggled to come up with the details that would really say "Blackbird." I don't have any feathers or bird-related accessories, other than an owl necklace that is brightly colored and really has nothing to do with the song. And then I thought of this awesome jacket that my dear friend Brian thrifted for me a few months ago ($2!). It's so cute, but kind of heavy and it's been 100 degrees almost every day since Brian gave it to me, so I have been waiting forever to wear it.

So when the temperature finally dropped into the 80s today, I thought of this jacket and thought, "All my life, I was only waiting for this moment to arise." Just like the eponymous blackbird! And the outfit ended up looking a little 60s, which was perfect for a Beatles-inspired ensemble.

And now it's getting late, so excuse me while I fly into the light of the dark black night. Man, the corny song references just keep on coming! I'll be here all week, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.