Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fashion Beauty Friend Sunday


I forgot to answer the Friend Friday questions on Friday, and didn't want to post them without including a picture of some kind. So here I give you a spinning picture. It's not even from Friday, and I look like a goober. I'm not sure how other bloggers manage to pull spinning pictures off gracefully.

1. What magazines do you subscribe to? I subscribe to Southern Living, which has nothing to do with fashion, and everything to do with my not-so-secret desire to be a combination of Scarlett O'Hara, Paula Deen, Scout Finch, both of my grandmothers, and Queen Elizabeth (who isn't Southern, but is gracious enough to qualify). Cary subscribes to Mental Floss, which I love to borrow from him. I honestly don't like fashion magazines very much - they're all ads and everything feels so inaccessible.

2. Do you watch any fashion TV shows? I love Project Runway. Cary and I get together with my sister and brother-in-law and another couple on Thursday nights to eat dinner and watch it together (we DVR). I really need Tim Gunn to follow me around giving advice like, "Emily, this worries me," or "Make it work!" I also love What Not to Wear. I think I could be BFFs with Clinton and Stacy. Clinton and Stacy, if you're reading this, I promise I'm not crazy, just a big fan. And I love/cringe at Fashion Police. I laugh while praying that I never meet Joan Rivers, and if I do, that it's on the best-dressed day of my entire life. Girlfriend is a little scary.

3. Beyond blogs, what websites do you frequent for fashion inspiration? Hmm. Like I said in Question 1, I'm a little turned off by the big fashion magazines, so I avoid their websites. There's just so much high-concept stuff that looks ridiculous and is basically unwearable by most women, and I don't like feeling like I'm supposed to applaud and rush out to buy whatever is put forth. Maybe I'm unsophisticated. I don't know. I do like looking at online shops like ModCloth for inspiration, but that's about it.

4. Advertisements play a huge role in forming public opinion about a product or brand... what ads do you like and why? Since I don't buy fashion magazines and I now have a TiVo so I can skip commercials (hooray!), I'm not exposed to as many ads anymore, but I really liked Dove's campaign a few years ago about embracing real beauty. They had women of all colors, shapes, and sizes in their ads. I bought a lot of Dove products for a while there, until I had to scale back my budget and start buying store brand stuff.

5. Do you own any fashion books? No, but I sort of did for a minute. I bought my friend Adrienne Clinton Kelly's book Oh No She Didn't for her birthday and read the whole thing before giving it to her. It was hilarious and I would recommend it to anyone. I almost kept it and just gave Adrienne a card, but then I remembered that I'm an awesome friend and handed it over. Actually, I remembered that Adrienne is an awesome friend, felt bad for being selfish, and handed it over.

So, what have I learned from answering these questions? That I really don't like fashion magazines, for one. Is that okay for a style blogger to say? I'm kind of waiting for lightning to strike me. Or for Tim Gunn to turn up saying, "Emily, this worries me." Which would honestly be fantastic, so maybe I should say it again: I don't like fashion magazines!

Nothing, Tim Gunn? I'm still waiting. Feel free to intervene any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.