Monday, March 28, 2011

The War of the Hem



Yay jeans! I feel this psyched in them all the time.

Shirt: LOFT
Jeans: Gap
Shoes and belt: Target
Necklace: Inherited from Cary's grandmother
Bracelet: Gift from aunt

So I've been seeing these jeans pretty much everywhere in the blogging world. I wanted them, but debated and debated until I realized that I had to go to a social function this past weekend that was going to be both long and emotionally draining. Then I sprang into action.

This may be a coping mechanism that I need to look more carefully at, but having something fabulous to wear always helps me get through difficult days. On Friday night, I went to Gap and did two things I never do: 1) buy clothes that are on-trend before every college girl in this town does, and 2) pay full price for anything at Gap. The jeans were expensive, but this is the third day in a row that I've worn them, so I think I'll get my money's worth over time.

When I got home, I had to hem them, because the designers at Gap seem to think that all women are about 5'10". I found a website that explains how to do an invisible hem on jeans. The writer promised that it would only take half an hour. That is probably true for people who have ever hemmed anything before and own a sewing machine that was produced less than 50 years ago. Sadly, I'm not those people. My mama or a paid tailor has hemmed my pants up until now, and my grandmother bought the sewing machine I currently have around 1960.

After four or five hours of sewing, ripping out bad seams, sewing again, crying, and calling my jeans names I'd rather not publish on a blog my parents read, I had hemmed jeans. And now that I have won the War of the Hem, I love them. I would wear them again tomorrow if there were any way wearing the same jeans for more than half a week weren't kind of obsessive. Then again, I literally put blood, sweat, and tears into these jeans, since I stabbed myself in the foot with a pin while determining length. It wouldn't be weird just to keep wearing them, right? Right?

3 comments:

  1. I think I follow the same two rules as you. That said, your pants look great and the hemming looks polished. I'm impressed with your skills, even if it took you forever and a day to do them. (And I get the same level of frustration on these sorts of projects - it's not a pretty picture.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, having something fabulous to wear makes difficult days a lot less difficult. And I think it's pretty awesome you hemmed the jeans yourself. (I probably just would have taken them somewhere...lazy.) They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! And thanks for visiting, Shea :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.