Monday, April 18, 2011

Job Interview

Brian's Etsy store


I haven't said anything about this on the blog before, but I interviewed this morning for a core faculty position in my department. Right now I'm an adjunct, which means that I have to have my contract renewed every semester (with the possibility of losing my job if enrollment drops), and also that I have no health or retirement benefits. The job I interviewed for would be essentially the same thing I'm doing now, but with an annual nine month contract and benefits. The department has been talking about adding these positions for almost a year, so I have been looking forward to applying and interviewing for a long time. I should know something by the end of this week or beginning of next.

So, what do you wear to be interviewed by your colleagues for a job you're kind of already doing? I knew I wanted to rely on my blazer and a pair of dressy trousers, but I didn't want to look boring. That's one of the great things about working in academia - creative self-expression is encouraged. So I put on this watermelon-colored top and what my mother and I call The Shoes of Salvation. I debated the appropriateness of animal print shoes for a long time, but these shoes give me confidence. The pants are hemmed a little short for them, but I needed to feel confident so I wore them anyway. And I actually got compliments on them from members of the search committee, which I figure can't hurt, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Academia Sartorial 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.